call us on 0414 714 948
logo-600-transparent

Types of kitchen fires

Going by the reputation most Chefs have – there can be a lot of HEAT in a commercial kitchen, but sometimes heat in the kitchen is not only caused by an excitable chef getting hot under the collar.

At Grease Busters your safety is our business. We are experts in cleaning commercial kitchen exhausts, canopies and also duct cleaning. All our work is guaranteed and our aim is for your kitchen to be fire risk free.

The majority of accidental fires involving commercial cooking appliances are caused by poor construction and installation, or poor maintenance practices. Unfortunately because of inadequate construction clearances, poor maintenance of the extinguishing system and the accumulation of grease deposits in exhaust canopies and ductwork, commercial cooking areas remain a big fire risk. Over half of the structure fires in eating and drinking establishments begin in the kitchen or cooking area; and these fires can cause civilian injuries and huge property damage.

There are a variety of types of kitchen fires, and they all require a different method of controlling it and extinguishing it. The most common kind of kitchen is called a dry kitchen fire. This is the kind of fire that results when a pan boils over and catches fire on the burner or when food residue in the oven catches fire. Dry kitchen fires generally burn out quickly on their own, but the heat produced can catch the area around it on fire and the smoke hangs around for a long time and sets off your alarms. Keeping the stovetop and the oven clean of all food residues is the best way to prevent these kinds of fires.

duct cleaning with greasebusters

Another common type of kitchen fire is a grease fire. These fires are extremely dangerous and can be very difficult to extinguish. Flames of a grease fire are generally very large and so the fire can jump from one area to another rapidly which means that grease fires are a real threat to staff, customers and property. If the fire is manageable then the first step is to try and cut the fire off from oxygen. Turn off the stove and place a metal lid over the fire until the fire is out. If you don’t have a lid that will cover the fire then pour large amounts of baking soda on the flames. Baking soda is a great fire extinguisher!

Fires can also occur in the oven and these are usually very easy to manage. Ovens are constructed to handle high amounts of heat and they have poor oxygen flow. These fires can usually be put out simply by turning off the oven and closing the oven door.

Of course you need to ensure that your fire evacuation plan is current and regular training is undertaken by all your staff. Inspection of your fire extinguishers and fire blankets should be regularly done as well.
So, your aim should be to keep your kitchen as safe as possible, and seriously, if a fire takes hold – don’t be a hero – evacuate the building immediately and call the fire department. There is no reason to risk your own safety when professional fire fighters are just a phone call away.

While fires are a constant threat in any kitchen, make sure your commercial kitchen is as safe as possible, call Greasebusters and we will come out and clean all the fat deposits, accumulated grease and other nasties out of the places you forget about!

To do the best you can for the safety of your kitchen and your staff from Brisbane to the Gold Coast, Tweed & Byron Bay – call Grease Busters now, 0414 714 948. We are on call 24/7!

Posted in

Cameron

Archives